Monday, June 8, 2009

Deeds, Wagner on Tuesday

I have had many people ask me in the last week who I'm supporting for Governor and Lieutenant Governor in the Democratic primary tomorrow. While I don't necessarily believe that endorsements from local elected officials (unlike, say, from the Washington Post) make a huge difference in such contests, I have gone on record as endorsing Creigh Deeds for Governor and Jody Wagner for Lieutenant Governor as I believe they would be our strongest ticket going into the November general election -- and just as importantly, the pair most likely to Get Things Done down in Richmond.

I may not agree with either of them on 100% of the issues, but they are both progressives in the sense of willing to fight for the interests of working Virginians, for increased investments in clean energy, for improvements to public and higher education, for civil rights and civil liberties, etc., and they both have successful track records of pushing for positive change on the state level. I have had the good fortune of getting to know both Creigh and Jody personally and they both strike me as authentic, sincere, well-informed and aptly-experienced. When you throw in the Democratic candidate for Attorney General, Steve Shannon, you have a ticket that well-represents the state as a whole (Creigh from Southwest/Central Virginia, Jody from Hampton Roads, Steve from Northern Virginia) and would elect the first woman to the office of Lieutenant Governor in Virginia history. That distinction should have belonged to Emily Couric, but Jody is a good second choice.

None of this is to take anything away from any of the other candidates who are on the ballot on Tuesday, at least two of whom I like and have a great deal of respect for. Turnout tomorrow is expected to be abysmal, so whomever you support, get out and vote because your vote will carry even more weight than normal. As for me, when I go into that voting booth tomorrow, I will be "pulling the lever" for Deeds and Wagner and I encourage you to consider doing the same.

Creigh Deeds for Governor: www.deedsforvirginia.com
Jody Wagner for Lieutenant Governor: www.jodyforva.com

p.s. For what it's worth, this fall I will be sharing a ballot and a coordinated campaign with whoever wins tomorrow, so I do admit to having slightly more of a vested interest in the outcome than the average voter. :-)

No comments: